👥 Welcome To O. S. C. Forums 👥

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2021 12:16 am  #1

Gardening

The Freak February Freeze did a number on my Handsome Garden.
Anyone else suffer from early planting ?

5/05/2021 2:58 am  #2

Re: Gardening

Sirhandsome wrote:

The Freak February Freeze did a number on my Handsome Garden.
Anyone else suffer from early planting ?

All I know about Gardening is that the soil gets better after each year of planting. Due to the compost.

5/05/2021 2:59 am  #3

Right? The left over residue from the plants and such?

5/05/2021 12:23 pm  #4

You're right about the plant residue adding (returning) to the soil quality but, the plant also removed nutrients to produce fruits.
If those fruits are eaten they are taken away from the recycling process and the soil needs amending to continue to flourish.
YES !
Composting helps the soil.
Especially, if the compost has been collected from outside areas.
Gathering bagged leaves and grass-clippings from elsewhere to compost or use as mulch adds to the soil quality

5/06/2021 3:41 pm  #5

Sirhandsome wrote:

You're right about the plant residue adding (returning) to the soil quality but, the plant also removed nutrients to produce fruits.
If those fruits are eaten they are taken away from the recycling process and the soil needs amending to continue to flourish.
YES !
Composting helps the soil.
Especially, if the compost has been collected from outside areas.
Gathering bagged leaves and grass-clippings from elsewhere to compost or use as mulch adds to the soil quality

Thx for that Information I didn't know most of that.

5/06/2021 6:36 pm  #6

I prefer growing my vegetable garden in an organic manner and have some pretty unconventional practices and opinions.
For instance, I'm sure you have heard about the "depleting top soil" around the world.
I am of the opinion that Humans are causing the depletion by burying dead humans for over 500 years, which prevents our bodies from returning to the soil.
Oh, our dead bodies (before embalming) are six feet deep and available to tree roots but, garden plants and other crop roots reach only about two to three feet.
Mind you, Soul Survivor, you can still plant a few seeds and grow veggies for a while before they deplete the soil of nutrients

Last edited by Sirhandsome (5/08/2021 9:01 am)

5/19/2021 11:13 pm  #7

NEW PROJECT:
Bought some "Heavenly Villagio Marzano" tomatoes, cut the seeds out and planted 28 to see how they will grow.
Honestly, es a bit late in the season to expect them to succeed but, I may keep them indoors to encourage them to flower & fruit

Board footera